We at UAS are excited to share our plans for this Thursday’s big Open House event!
There is Something for Everyone
- High school seniors, juniors and sophomores
- Parents\working adults who are thinking about furthering their education
- Anyone interested in studying abroad or in the lower 48 states
- UAS students or prospects who want to learn more about fall/winter housing options on the SJ campus
Demonstrations and Participatory Events
- Study Away – National and international student exchange opportunities (Go to school anywhere through UAS at UAS prices!)
- Biology – Dissections of the eye and brain with Professors Marnie Chapman and Jon Martin
- Fish Tech – Dissection with Professor Reid Brewer
- Art – Formline design with Mark Sixbey
- Art – Screen print your own T-shirt! (1 shirt free to each visitor while supplies last!)
- Career and Technical Education – Construction opportunities with Pat Hughes
- English – Film clip study and discussion
- Medical Assisting – A brand new program starting in the fall with Dr. Paul Bahna
- Nurse Assistant and Pre-Nursing – Demos with instructor Shelley Adams
Staffed Information Tables for Career Information
- Fish Tech – Barb Morse and Alex Najduchs
- Health Information Management – A hot career and the biggest program we offer with program director and professor Leslie Gordon
- Law Enforcement – Chief Sheldon Schmitt
- Paying for College – User friendly insights from our Student Success Center advisor, David Felts
- The new Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees – David Felts and Cheryl Stromme
- Dual Enrollment – How to save a lot of money by attending college during high school
- Sitka Start – How to save a lot of money and gain confidence by attending your first year of college here
Freebies and Giveaways!
- Screen print your own T-shirt
- Door prizes – Cash, gift baskets, wearables, etc.
- Food – Hot dogs and more lovingly cooked on the grill by Bob Love!
Here’s a schedule of all the exciting things that will be going on. We look forward to seeing you!
In honor of Career and Technical Education month, the UAS Sitka Campus will host an Open House on Thursday, March 12, from 4:00-7:00 pm.
Experience classroom demonstrations in Film Studies, Ceramics, Microbiology, Law Enforcement, CNA, Nursing, Welding, and more!
Discover the many programs we offer and how you can complete a degree online.
Learn about Sitka Start, our exciting chance to get a smart start to your college education with highly personalized, small class sizes, and special local scholarships for your first year of college!
And there will be campus tours, door prizes, and free food for attendees! For more information, please call 747-7717.
UAS Sitka Campus Open House
- Thursday, March 12, 2015
- 4:00 – 7:00 pm
- UAS Sitka Campus, 1332 Seward Ave.
The Tips for Student Success blog many resources available to help you succeed as an online learner! Not only do our weekly blog posts provide you with helpful information, our Tutorials, Blackboard Help, and Additional Resources sections have a wealth of information to support student learning and address specific college-level concepts and skills.
On our Tutorials page you can find short tutorials, ranging from 5 minutes to 25 minutes. Currently we have:
- What’s the Difference? UAS Online, UAOnline, Webmail Elmo…
- Getting Started in Your UAS Sitka Course
- Tips on How to Be An Engaged Online Learner
- Blackboard: Behind the Scenes
- Is Online Learning Right for Me?
- Create Posts in WordPress
- Edit Your Posts in WordPress
- Test Taking Tips
- Basic Grammar
- Email Etiquette
- How to Study
- Note Taking
- How to Write a Basic Essay
- Plagiarism – What It is And How to Avoid it
Our Blackboard Help page has tutorials created by the university as well as YouTube tutorials provided by Blackboard.
On the Additional Resources page you’ll find links to tutorials and helpful documentation for:
- Finding Sources
- Citing Sources
- What to Study in a Textbook
- Learning Styles
- MS Excel
If you haven’t subscribed to Tips for Student Success yet, consider signing up! You’ll get email notifications when we add more great resources. Don’t worry – we won’t flood your inbox! We post 1-3 times a week and you can choose if you want an immediate or weekly notification.
Math • Writing • Biology • Chemistry • Stats • More!
The UAS Sitka Campus tutors are like personal trainers for your brain! Did you know tutoring is offered FREE to local and distance students? Yes free! Tutoring is available to UAS Sitka students through the Student Success Center (SSC) and through tutor.com, a service provided by the State of Alaska.
Our four highly qualified tutors regularly support students in Sitka classes with in-person meetings, Skype calls, Blackboard Collaborate sessions, and other distance delivery methods. They offer flexible daytime, evening and weekend appointments.
If you need assistance contact one of our tutors below!
Meet the Tutors
||Kyle Rosendale (907) 747-7765
B.S. Biomedical Engineering, M.Sc. Entrepreneurship
MATH (through calculus), STATISTICS, BIOLOGY, Intro CHEMISTRY, BUSINESS
||Jasmine Shaw (907) 747-9440
B.S. Chemistry, M.S. Environmental Science
CHEMISTRY, WRITING (including technical), MATH, ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE, HISTORY, ESL
||Breanna Stewart (907) 747-7712
B.S. Family, Youth & Community Sci, B.A. Criminology
WRITING composition, MATH (through pre-calc & trig), Intro PSYCH, Intro SOCIOLOGY, Intro JUSTICE
||Joseph Dubie (907) 747-7707
BIOLOGY (including microbiology), CHEMISTRY, WRITING (composition), MATH (through calc), Intro PHYSICS
Find more education infographics on e-Learning Infographics
It’s not too early to start preparing for final exam week! For UAS students finals are December 8-13. We have two tutorials to help you get ready!
||How to Study walks you through the basic steps of how to set up a successful study practice. Studying is a key part of successfully taking tests.
||Test Taking Tips introduces you to an overview of general guidelines for successfully taking your college tests, tips on how to take multiple choice exams, and tips on how to take essay exams.
How to be Effective when Studying – Best Study Apps, Tools, Tips & Techniques by Open Colleges
Think Spring? But Fall is just starting! The UAS Spring 2015 class schedule will be available to view online Monday, October 27. Whether you are already enrolled in a program, taking classes or thinking about getting started our UAS Sitka advisors are here to help you plan your Spring semester!
Online and in-person academic advising is available to UAS Sitka students. Below is a list of services and hours. It is highly recommended you call or email to schedule an advising appointment.
Student Success advisors can assist you with:
- Discussing your educational goals and career plans
- Exploring your options in choosing an onsite or online degree program
- Developing a plan of study
- Selecting, scheduling and registering for classes
- Assisting with transition into college
- Connecting you to other resources
- Reviewing your academic progress or financial aid status
- Working through class, instructor or study concerns during the semester
- Troubleshooting issues or processing petitions
- Navigating university requirements and policies
- Following the Next Steps Checklist for Entering a Program
General Student Success Center Open Hours:
- Monday and Wednesday: 8 am – 7 pm
- Tuesday and Thursday: 8 am – 8 pm
- Friday: 8 am – 5 pm
- Saturday: 10 am – 2 pm
- Sunday: Closed
Hours may change, so please visit the website for current information. Feel free to email the staff to schedule an advising appointment. Or call toll-free: 1-800-478-6653 ext 7717.
Image: ©iStockphoto.com/Jobalou and Creative Market