Job Genie is a fun, free app by Blackboard that let’s you explore potential career paths and college options. The app is compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
Once you choose what’s most important to you, you are asked a few questions. Based on your answers a career is chosen for you to review. The review consists of: perks, downers, salary and cost of living, and what can I afford? The what can I afford section let’s you pick a state, preferred method of transportation, housing, family life, lifestyle, and savings. There are also videos from professionals describing their jobs to you.
If the career doesn’t sound right for you, you have the option of clicking Nope, Maybe, or Totally. Choosing Nope or Maybe let’s you choose other careers to explore. If the career is totally for you, you can continue on to view a few recommended schools or search more careers.
Download the app today and have fun exploring potential careers!
This short article appeared in my inbox this morning and with college tuition rising and some graduates having difficulties finding employment I thought I’d share. Click on the link below to read the article and infographic.
More Than a Degree (infographic)
The University of Alaska Southeast, Sitka Campus Fisheries Technology Occupational Endorsement program provides practical job-ready skills and knowledge in a reduced time commitment.
Just four web-based courses plus a hands-on intensive lab or internship!
The program offers two different areas of emphasis:
- Alaska Salmon Enhancement – provides training for individuals interested in Pacific salmon culture practices. Courses introduce the fundamentals of fisheries enhancement in Alaska, basic fisheries biology, and related field techniques essential for working in hatchery or other salmon enhancement positions.
- Fisheries Management – provides training for individuals interested in fisheries management. Courses introduce international and local fisheries management policy and law, fisheries economics, fish biology, and related field techniques as a working foundation for entry-level state or federal fisheries management positions.
Students can choose to complete the occupational endorsement with either emphasis. Both require either a 50-hour internship or a four-day intensive field/lab class.
This occupational endorsement online course work integrates with the Fisheries Technology Certificate and A.A.S. in Fisheries Technology programs.
Inquire about the Fisheries Programs and start classes this fall!
907-747-7717 or 800-478-6653 ext 7717
The FT OEs were created as part of the UAS Pathway to Employment Project is 100% funded through a $2,507,463 U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration, Trade Adjustment Assistance Community College and Career Training Grant.
Student’s take note! Employers in today’s digital era are looking for these eight skills:
- Passion for digital
- Analytical thinking and application
- Critical thinking
- Communication skills
- Understanding the “bigger picture”
- Be solution-oriented
- Find exceptional mentors to inspire you
Learn more and explore these skills from sources: Edudemic and Educational Technology and Mobile Learning.
Digital Learning Now Infographic – Click on the image below to view.
Online and in-person tutoring, testing and academic advising is available to UAS Sitka students. And it’s free! Below is a list of services and hours.
General SSC Open Hours:
- Monday – Thursday: 8 am – 9 pm
- Friday: 8 am – 5 pm
- Saturday: 12 pm – 4 pm
Tutoring and Testing Hours (Fall & Spring Semesters):
- Monday – Thursday: 10 am – 8 pm
- Friday: 10 am – 5 pm
- Saturday: 12 pm – 4:00
- Math Assistance
- English and Writing Assistance
- Subject and Homework Help
- Tutor.com through SLED
- GED preparation
- Professional Certifications (Praxis, PAX-RN, etc.)
- Career Exploration
- Monday – Friday: 10 am – 5 pm and by appointment
- Academic Planning and Counseling
- Career Counseling
- Financial Aid and Scholarships
- Transfer Support
- Sitka-based Program Info and Promotion
- Academic Facilitation
- Veterans and Active Military Support
- Student Government
- Schedule / Course Planning
- Disability Support
- Dual Enrollment
Hours may change, so please visit the web site for current information. Feel free to email the staff to schedule a tutoring session! Or call toll free: 1-800-478-6653 ext 7717.
US News reports: “As many as one in three first-year students doesn’t make it back for sophomore year. Reasons run the gamut from family problems and loneliness to academic struggles and a lack of money. “ So consider doing that critical first year right here in Sitka. Attend class with a cohort of your friends. Save money. Build confidence. Develop good study habits. And then transfer to the college of your choice with a high GPA, no debt, a clear sense of direction… and belief in yourself.
At the University of Alaska Southeast, Sitka Campus, we focus on these ingredients of student success:
- Full academic accreditation … our credits for GER courses are accepted at most colleges.
- Excellent professors who care, AND have time for you.
- Outstanding academic advisors.
- Free tutoring, plus excellent study opportunities with friends who are taking the same classes.
- Much lower costs. At less than $5000 per year*, our tuition costs a fraction of most other schools. It is very possible to attend Sitka Campus without debt.
How Sitka Start Works
Beginning Fall Semester 2014 a cohort of Sitka students will go through required Freshman classes together: science, math, English, and electives. To find out more, talk to our Student Success Center advisors. And remember: a good start is the most important ingredient for success in college… and life. Call 747-7717 to get STARTed!
* $5710/year – $1000 Stay on Track Scholarship = $4710 Average Cost
Download the Sitka Start Ad (pdf).
The UAS Sitka Campus, in cooperation with Sitka and Mount Edgecumbe High Schools, is sponsoring College Goal Alaska! At this event you will:
- Get free advice on going to college
- Get help with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Come away with knowing what you need to apply to college on time
- Get information about the UAS scholarship and application deadline
- Learn about Sitka Start
When: Tuesday, February 4 at 6 pm
Where: Sitka High School, 1000 Lake Street
If you are unable to attend the event or take classes from a distance, we can still provide you with the information! Call the Sitka Campus student success advisors for information at 907-747-7717.
Beginning in the fall of 2013, the University of Alaska Southeast Sitka Campus will offer an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Law Enforcement! Students may earn this degree entirely in an online format from anywhere in the state of Alaska with an appropriate computer and Internet connection.
The Law Enforcement Degree Program is designed to provide participants with up-to-date industry specific training that will enhance their professional opportunities. Tailored to teach students how to handle the challenges of the law enforcement profession, this Alaska-centric degree has been designed to appeal to and address the current critical shortage of Alaskans in the law enforcement profession. The Sitka Campus program will teach students how to “think like a police officer” and be effective as community leaders as well as within departments.
This program is open to any Alaskan interested in law enforcement careers at whatever level desired. It will aid in the pursuit of local, state, or federal law enforcement positions.
High school graduates who are interested in a career in law enforcement will find that the AAS degree program is ideal: it can be completed during the 2 years they must wait between graduation and the age when they could enroll in the Alaska Public Safety Training Academy.
For existing police officers, the program can be pursued in their spare time through e-Learning. This is the kind of study that will help existing officers advance in the profession.
An occupational endorsement is also available to those that qualify. Successful completion of the Alaska Public Safety Training Academy’s intensive 15-week course results in an Occupational Endorsement.
For more information or to apply, please visit the program website.