Say goodbye to your paper planner! MyStudyLife is a simple, easy to use solution to organize all of your classes, tasks and exams. With this app you can schedule your assignments, exams, and tasks, set reminders and sync your data across all of your devices. MyStudyLife is available on all platforms and even works offline. And it’s free! For more information and to sign up, visit MyStudyLife.
Explore Google’s 55 tips “to make this school year yours” by clicking on the image below.
Back to School 2015 Apple Promotion – read Terms and Conditions.
Mac Image: Pixeden.com / Beats Image: ©iStockphoto.com/Csondy
“You sit down at the computer, and you swear you’ll be productive. Next thing you know, it’s twelve hours later. You’ve checked your email, updated your Facebook status, browsed the trending topics on Twitter, read your RSS feeds, looked up your favorite band on Wikipedia, vanity googled yourself, cyber-stalked your ex, looked at all your high-school crushes’ Facebook photos, and lost a week’s pay playing online poker.”
Well you can fix all that with StayFocused! StayFocused is a customizable extension for Google Chrome that helps you be more productive by reducing time spent on distracting web sites. Try the extension and let us know how it works for you!
We at UAS are excited to share our plans for this Thursday’s big Open House event!
There is Something for Everyone
- High school seniors, juniors and sophomores
- Parents\working adults who are thinking about furthering their education
- Anyone interested in studying abroad or in the lower 48 states
- UAS students or prospects who want to learn more about fall/winter housing options on the SJ campus
Demonstrations and Participatory Events
- Study Away – National and international student exchange opportunities (Go to school anywhere through UAS at UAS prices!)
- Biology – Dissections of the eye and brain with Professors Marnie Chapman and Jon Martin
- Fish Tech – Dissection with Professor Reid Brewer
- Art – Formline design with Mark Sixbey
- Art – Screen print your own T-shirt! (1 shirt free to each visitor while supplies last!)
- Career and Technical Education – Construction opportunities with Pat Hughes
- English – Film clip study and discussion
- Medical Assisting – A brand new program starting in the fall with Dr. Paul Bahna
- Nurse Assistant and Pre-Nursing – Demos with instructor Shelley Adams
Staffed Information Tables for Career Information
- Fish Tech – Barb Morse and Alex Najduchs
- Health Information Management – A hot career and the biggest program we offer with program director and professor Leslie Gordon
- Law Enforcement – Chief Sheldon Schmitt
- Paying for College – User friendly insights from our Student Success Center advisor, David Felts
- The new Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees – David Felts and Cheryl Stromme
- Dual Enrollment – How to save a lot of money by attending college during high school
- Sitka Start – How to save a lot of money and gain confidence by attending your first year of college here
Freebies and Giveaways!
- Screen print your own T-shirt
- Door prizes – Cash, gift baskets, wearables, etc.
- Food – Hot dogs and more lovingly cooked on the grill by Bob Love!
Here’s a schedule of all the exciting things that will be going on. We look forward to seeing you!
We’ve blogged about the importance of note taking before and even created a tutorial for you. Our tutorial highlights specific note taking techniques using pen and paper. But what about taking notes using technology? With technology at our fingertips, it’s easy to take notes using our laptops, tablets or even our phones. But some research has stated that digital note taking may be less effective for learning. A recent article by Beth Holland discusses The 4Ss of Note Taking With Technology. In her article, Ms. Holland states:
“…before making a blanket statement that one device may be better than another (e.g. pen vs. laptop) or calling into question what may be the best note-taking system, what if we approach the concept by identifying what is best for individual students?“
Read her article to review the 4Ss – support, save, search and share; and decide if pen or keyboard works best for you!
How to be Effective when Studying – Best Study Apps, Tools, Tips & Techniques by Open Colleges
Job Genie is a fun, free app by Blackboard that let’s you explore potential career paths and college options. The app is compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
Once you choose what’s most important to you, you are asked a few questions. Based on your answers a career is chosen for you to review. The review consists of: perks, downers, salary and cost of living, and what can I afford? The what can I afford section let’s you pick a state, preferred method of transportation, housing, family life, lifestyle, and savings. There are also videos from professionals describing their jobs to you.
If the career doesn’t sound right for you, you have the option of clicking Nope, Maybe, or Totally. Choosing Nope or Maybe let’s you choose other careers to explore. If the career is totally for you, you can continue on to view a few recommended schools or search more careers.
Download the app today and have fun exploring potential careers!
Your success matters to us! And we know that the more you know, the more successful you’ll be.
The first component of our online orientation series will help you better understand online learning and decide if it’s right for you. It will help you understand:
- the technology skills you need
- the technical requirements for your computer
- the personal skills you need
- how to access resources to help you build those skills.
Once you know what it takes, you are on your way to success! Click on the image to view the tutorial!