Today UAS Sitka is launching its virtual tour of the resources and programs available for students as well as a peek at the physical presence of our campus. We hope this tour will help you learn more about the ways in which our staff and faculty support your educational and career goals!
Launch the tour now!
Say goodbye to your paper planner! MyStudyLife is a simple, easy to use solution to organize all of your classes, tasks and exams. With this app you can schedule your assignments, exams, and tasks, set reminders and sync your data across all of your devices. MyStudyLife is available on all platforms and even works offline. And it’s free! For more information and to sign up, visit MyStudyLife.
Introduction to Mariculture
Fall 2015 Semester
3 Credits / FT193-TD2 / CRN: 79629
Meets: Thursdays 5:00 pm – 7:30 pm
Web meeting only (not hybrid)
907-747-7700 or 1-800-478-6653
We’re already a month into summer and the deadline to apply for Fall semester is just a few weeks away. Now is a great time to schedule an appointment with an advisor and start planning!
Confused about what course to take next? Interested in a certain career path? Unsure of where your interests may be? Is financial aid available? An advisor can assist you with these questions as well as help you register for upcoming fall courses.
Remember, you do not need to be on campus to receive academic advising. Advisors are available to assist you via email or telephone. For those of you that are on campus, feel free to stop by the Student Success Center and schedule an appointment.
Contact an advisor today to help you stay on track or get you started down an education pathway!
Student Success Center: (907) 747-7717 or (800) 478-6653.
- August 1, 2015: Deadline for Fall Admissions Application
- August 31, 2015: First Day of Instruction
Image (computer): ©iStockphoto.com/owl_lee
Classes start May 18!
The Sitka Campus is offering a wide variety of classes this summer. Many classes are offered face-to-face and by distance. View your choices and register today!
Questions? Contact an advisor to discuss your options or to schedule an appointment.
We at UAS are excited to share our plans for this Thursday’s big Open House event!
There is Something for Everyone
- High school seniors, juniors and sophomores
- Parents\working adults who are thinking about furthering their education
- Anyone interested in studying abroad or in the lower 48 states
- UAS students or prospects who want to learn more about fall/winter housing options on the SJ campus
Demonstrations and Participatory Events
- Study Away – National and international student exchange opportunities (Go to school anywhere through UAS at UAS prices!)
- Biology – Dissections of the eye and brain with Professors Marnie Chapman and Jon Martin
- Fish Tech – Dissection with Professor Reid Brewer
- Art – Formline design with Mark Sixbey
- Art – Screen print your own T-shirt! (1 shirt free to each visitor while supplies last!)
- Career and Technical Education – Construction opportunities with Pat Hughes
- English – Film clip study and discussion
- Medical Assisting – A brand new program starting in the fall with Dr. Paul Bahna
- Nurse Assistant and Pre-Nursing – Demos with instructor Shelley Adams
Staffed Information Tables for Career Information
- Fish Tech – Barb Morse and Alex Najduchs
- Health Information Management – A hot career and the biggest program we offer with program director and professor Leslie Gordon
- Law Enforcement – Chief Sheldon Schmitt
- Paying for College – User friendly insights from our Student Success Center advisor, David Felts
- The new Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees – David Felts and Cheryl Stromme
- Dual Enrollment – How to save a lot of money by attending college during high school
- Sitka Start – How to save a lot of money and gain confidence by attending your first year of college here
Freebies and Giveaways!
- Screen print your own T-shirt
- Door prizes – Cash, gift baskets, wearables, etc.
- Food – Hot dogs and more lovingly cooked on the grill by Bob Love!
Here’s a schedule of all the exciting things that will be going on. We look forward to seeing you!
Math • Writing • Biology • Chemistry • Stats • More!
The UAS Sitka Campus tutors are like personal trainers for your brain! Did you know tutoring is offered FREE to local and distance students? Yes free! Tutoring is available to UAS Sitka students through the Student Success Center (SSC) and through tutor.com, a service provided by the State of Alaska.
Our four highly qualified tutors regularly support students in Sitka classes with in-person meetings, Skype calls, Blackboard Collaborate sessions, and other distance delivery methods. They offer flexible daytime, evening and weekend appointments.
If you need assistance contact one of our tutors below!
Meet the Tutors
||Kyle Rosendale (907) 747-7765
B.S. Biomedical Engineering, M.Sc. Entrepreneurship
MATH (through calculus), STATISTICS, BIOLOGY, Intro CHEMISTRY, BUSINESS
||Jasmine Shaw (907) 747-9440
B.S. Chemistry, M.S. Environmental Science
CHEMISTRY, WRITING (including technical), MATH, ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE, HISTORY, ESL
||Breanna Stewart (907) 747-7712
B.S. Family, Youth & Community Sci, B.A. Criminology
WRITING composition, MATH (through pre-calc & trig), Intro PSYCH, Intro SOCIOLOGY, Intro JUSTICE
||Joseph Dubie (907) 747-7707
BIOLOGY (including microbiology), CHEMISTRY, WRITING (composition), MATH (through calc), Intro PHYSICS
Reminder – the Spring 2015 semester schedule is available today to view and search online! Visit the search site and find your classes! (Classes are subject to change.)
Contact an advisor for assistance with planning your schedule or if you have questions about your degree options.
Think Spring? But Fall is just starting! The UAS Spring 2015 class schedule will be available to view online Monday, October 27. Whether you are already enrolled in a program, taking classes or thinking about getting started our UAS Sitka advisors are here to help you plan your Spring semester!
Online and in-person academic advising is available to UAS Sitka students. Below is a list of services and hours. It is highly recommended you call or email to schedule an advising appointment.
Student Success advisors can assist you with:
- Discussing your educational goals and career plans
- Exploring your options in choosing an onsite or online degree program
- Developing a plan of study
- Selecting, scheduling and registering for classes
- Assisting with transition into college
- Connecting you to other resources
- Reviewing your academic progress or financial aid status
- Working through class, instructor or study concerns during the semester
- Troubleshooting issues or processing petitions
- Navigating university requirements and policies
- Following the Next Steps Checklist for Entering a Program
General Student Success Center Open Hours:
- Monday and Wednesday: 8 am – 7 pm
- Tuesday and Thursday: 8 am – 8 pm
- Friday: 8 am – 5 pm
- Saturday: 10 am – 2 pm
- Sunday: Closed
Hours may change, so please visit the website for current information. Feel free to email the staff to schedule an advising appointment. Or call toll-free: 1-800-478-6653 ext 7717.
Image: ©iStockphoto.com/Jobalou and Creative Market
Most University of Alaska Southeast, Sitka classes – both onsite and distance learning – have a course site set up on Blackboard through UAS Online. We’ve created a sample course that contains tutorials and guidelines for using Blackboard. It covers topics such as turning in assignments, communication tools, announcements, quizzes and exams, gradebook features, Web Meeting/Collaborate, uploading video and images, and in general tips for success.
Watch the course introduction below. It has audio, so be sure that your headphones and/or your speakers are on.
If you’d like to take the free course, follow these directions: